Friday, March 19, 2010

He' l be here any moment. The girl's flock around the door, adjust their heels, straighten their dresses, make their hair, Smoother some extra gloss for that perfect shine. A few of us chuckle with excitement. My friend whispers "Do you think he'll come at all". I reassure her "of course he will, now stop acting silly and straighten up." As i am about to clean her smudged kajal, she jumps and shrieks "Ranbir- look he's here." The next thing i know, i m left all alone in one quite lonely corner of the room with my eyes wide open staring at my friend who conveniently refused to recognise my presence for the next 60 seconds.

"Tanya, come right back. You are all over him". But I should have known she was tirelessly lost in pursuit of grabbing his attention. Hoping no body would notice, I walked towards her to remind her we were here for work. I could see my boss brisk walking from a distance towards the conference room. I had a sinking feeling. In my heart i knew she was coming to see if Tanya and i had taken our place next to the podium to make sure all guests had settled down.

The press was ready, all cameras glaring towards the door which would open anytime now. The mikes had been tested, the guests had settled down. I couldn't help but walk towards Tanya and physically pull her away from the man who could get us fired, even without any direct fault of his. But Tanya was head over heels over him. What made it worse was that Ranbir agreed to sign her an autograph. What happened next was unprecedented. As the both of them got ready to strike a pose, Tanya sighed and fainted right there. OH MY GOD, THE UNBELIEVABLE HAD HAPPENED. I didn't know where to run. Towards Tanya or out of the roor. Just then i heard my boss calling for help. I sprinted towards Tanya, picked her up and dragged her to one side. By then she was being attended my the medical staff. I apologise profusely but no body was really interested.

I could hear loud cheers from the other room. The conference was obviously going well but my focus at that point in time was my friend. Finally, what seemed like a thousand hour's, she jerked and got up. Any guesses on what she said the moment her little innocent eyes opened. "Is Ranbir still here?" Every fiber of my being just wanted to forget this day ever was and to start afresh. Only this time i would have made sure to hold Tanya tight when she drifted away from my grip. Was she for real? I guess i couldn't hide my bewildered expressions when Ranbir Kapoor walked through the doors once again to make this way out of the session. Thankfully, this time around, Tanya behaved herself and kept out of his way.

"Can i know where i can find Miss Tanya Sarin," i hered somebody say from the back. I turned around and decided it best to take it on from there. "Yes, tell me, she isn't around". "Mr. Kapoor has sent this for Tanya". I opened the envelope. It read "Dear Tanya, I hope you're feeling better. I feel overwhelmed by the love and adulation my well wishers shower me with. Sorry for what happened today. You must take care of yourself. Best of Luck for you life. Love Ranbir."

I rushed towards the women's room. "Tanya, look what I've got here in my hand baby." She ambled towards me. I gave it to her. I never expected it would mean so much to her. Yes i always knew she adored Ranbir but i ignored all her cries to hope to meet the man of her dreams one day. If she had her way she would have proposed him right there in then. She clung on to the letter like a mother clings to her child. If i am not wrong, she read it out loud not less than 56 times to be precise. I was happy for her.

How surreal the experience must have been for her. Maybe that's why she passed out. I looked at the watch. It was past twelve. In another half an hour we were reached home. Later, i called her to check if she was doing ok. Should have known nothing could go wrong anymore. I left it at that.

0 comments: